The Improper Bostonian is seeking an experienced self-motivated sales professional to develop and sell advertising and marketing campaigns to new and exciting clients. The account executive will be responsible for new business development and digital sales utilizing the media platform offered by The Improper Bostonian. The ideal candidate will have prospecting/cold calling experience and an excellent ability to close and develop relationships. Time management and social presentation skills are a must. Principal responsibilities include: developing and growing existing client relationships, developing new business, accurately forecasting revenue, achieving sales goals presented by management and entertaining clients. Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
In-house Photographer/Photo Editor for Local Consumer Publication
The Improper Bostonian, Boston’s premier city magazine, has an opening for an In-house Photographer/Photo Editor to capture the city’s lifestyle for print, digital and social platforms. For the right candidate, this is an exciting opportunity to expand and hone your skills with one of New England’s most revered and vital media brands. In addition to producing and shooting images for the bi-weekly magazine and its companion website, the position requires expert photo research and image sourcing, along with digital color correction and image pre-press, along with photo-shoot planning and production.
Candidates must meet the following requirements for consideration:
- • Time-management and communication skills with strict adherence to deadlines.
- • Strong organization skills and the ability to maintain strict and accurate budgets.
- • Possessing of resourcefulness and good temperament in order to handle unexpected challenges with creative solutions.
- • Demonstrate a well-developed visual sense possessing flair and sophistication with awareness of current photographic styles and trends.
- • Ability to collaborate creatively and to prioritize consensus over individual objectives.
- • Possess intellectual curiosity and a passion for brand content, including people, products, places, food, style, and culture, with experience shooting these various topics.
- • Must own and be willing to use your photo gear and lighting equipment for magazine assignments and demonstrate proficiency in its use.
- • Verify proficiency with Photoshop and some familiarity with Lightroom, Bridge, Premiere, and other Adobe programs, along with a willingness to improve.
- • Organize and provide oversight for cover shoot production in collaboration with the Design Director. This involves planning and negotiating with celebrity agents, sport organizations, and ancillary contributors such as hair, makeup, and wardrobe stylists, and photographers.
- • Bonus points for video production and on-set styling.
- Applicants must have access to an automobile for transportation to assignment locations whenever necessary. The Improper Bostonian is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. Salary is commensurate with 2 to 4 years’ experience.
- Send resume, cover letter, and a few samples of your best work to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Improper Bostonian accepts interns for the fall, spring and summer semesters. The deadline for spring internships is December 1. The deadline for summer internships is April 1. The deadline for fall internships is August 1. To apply, submit materials via e-mail to the contacts below. No phone calls, please; qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews when a position becomes available. Thank you for your interest.
The design department is not accepting interns at this time.
Editorial Department Internships:
Nathan Tavares/Assistant Editor and Cathryn Haight/Editorial Assistant
Please e-mail a résumé, cover letter and writing samples to: email@example.com. Editorial interns work two eight-hour days. Applicants should also include their availability Monday through Friday.
Digital Editorial Internships:
Emily Turner/Digital Editor
Please e-mail a résumé, cover letter and writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject title: Digital Intern. A digital editorial intern(s) will work two eight-hour days or equivalent. Applicants should also include their availability Monday through Friday.
The Digital Editorial intern will write web exclusive content for improper.com, assist with uploading content from the latest print issue to web, schedule content for social media, manage and source events for our Things to Do page.
Photo Department Internships:
Holly Rike/Photo Editor
Please e-mail a résumé, cover letter and either electronic samples of your work or a link to an online portfolio to: email@example.com.
Applications accepted for this position on an ongoing basis.
Please do not mail portfolios.
Advertising/Marketing Department Internships:
Sheila O’Brien/Receptionist/Sales and Marketing Coordinator
Please e-mail a résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.